Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Two more skeins and the loveliest knit-frock yet

I finished spinning two more skeins of yarn! I haven't weighed them yet, but they seem to be about as skinny as my first skein was. So probably another 3-3.5 ounces per skein. Wow! It's adding up. Sort of. I spun these two skeins on the two different wheels ––the one spun on the big production wheel is definitely a bit over-spun. I'm still getting the hang of drafting the wool out fast enough to keep up with the speed of the wheel pulling it in. 
I was looking through back issues of Interweave Knits' magazine, and found this ad for the English yarn company Rowan. I've always loved Rowan, it's the most beautiful (and most expensive) stuff, and their patterns are so dreamy and idiosyncratic. And a bit odd at times (and yes, therefore ever so British). But this sweater dress trumps all. It's gorgeous. I wish I could just conjure it up right now. It's knit in Kidsilk Haze, which, even for Rowan yarn, is a little on the steep side, at about £9/teensy-tiny skein. You'd need dozens of balls of yarn to make this. Maybe Rowan will hire me to become a test knitter for them. In exchange for free yarn! I've also looked all over for the pattern. Alas, Rowan Knit magazine #42 is nowhere to be found. Sigh. Well, for now, I'll just keep it posted on my bulletin board. Maybe I can manifest this somehow!? 

Crafty things and notes and skeins and my perfect sweater
and a big old candy-coloured angora hat. 

There it is. Ahhhhh... 

Two more! Two more!!

The National Young Farmers Coalition's answer to farming on a shoestring. Check out the chicken waterer that only opens when a chicken stands on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment