Thursday, February 17, 2011

A knitted bit and some mid-winter beekeeping


I worried that our honeybees were getting hungry, so I cooked them up a batch of fondant (basically bee candy), with some chamomile tea in it, and waited for a warm day to pop open the hives and give them their snack. Today was such a day, and the bees were out full-force for the first time this winter. They were happily pooping all over the white snow!


If you look closely, you might be able to see all the little yellow
specks of bee poop on the snow in the foreground.



And that's me in my bee suit and pink boots!


I also finished the first of my Kiel socks, with a pattern from Stephanie van der Linde's beautiful book, Around the World in Knitted Socks. The heel flap was a bit of a headache, but in the end it turned out nicely, with no need to pick up stitches along the sides of the heel, the way most socks are knitted. Speaking of all things German, here's a curiosity for you, a painting by Master Bertram of München, painted around 1390. It's the Madonna, knitting a sweater. 



In the meantime, I also knitted up a 2-minute swatch of my first batch of handspun. It's more spun that I'd like it, not as soft as I was hoping, but it does knit up well after all. I also started spinning on a bigger "production" wheel. I don't know how many RPMs that bobbin spins at, but let me tell you, it's a tad bit frightening. I might just sacrifice speed for comfort and familiarity, and stick with my own little Ashford. Take a look at the two wheels below. 




Two spinning wheels...




No comments:

Post a Comment