Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I think I've found it!

My friend Hannah has been knitting this pattern, the "Hiker's Waistcoat", and I think it's wonderful! I think I might knit this with my handspun yarn. It's a clean slate for working in stripes, possible intarsia or colourwork, as well as embellishing with fancy buttons. The pattern is a free one from Ravelry. You can find it here. (You'll probably need to sign in to Ravely first, though.) 


I read a piece by Kate Davies about a booming knit-business in 19th century Edinburgh. Read it all here. Here's what Edinburgh Magazine had to say about knitting:

We deny any woman engaged in these knitting processes which must require constant counting of stitches and un-distracted attention, to enjoy her own quiet thoughts. The honeycomb stitch, the ladder stitch, the diamond knitting, the porcupine boa, and the double eyelet knitting are surely enough to drive any woman mad. 

I'd say that I can think quite well while stitching along, and what's more sometimes it's nice to just tune out. Today we'd call that meditation. As for madness, well, I don't mind a bit of that here and there either!  I'd really like to know what a porcupine boa is...
Have a happy Wednesday! Weekend is almost here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment